could someone please explain to me how to use phonetic symbols and formatting when commenting on this blog
By trial and error I have found that you can use some very simple HTML formatting when commenting.
To switch on boldface, type <b>. To switch it off again, type </b>.
To switch on italic, type <i>. To switch it off again, type </i>.
(However, you cannot use the HTML tags for underlining, strikethrough, superscript or subscript.)
To insert IPA symbols you can use any of several methods. Choose from the following:
1. Copy from somewhere else and paste into the comment box.
2. Use a keyboard facility such as Mark Huckvale’s Unicode Phonetic Keyboard (for Windows UK), downloadable from here. With this, you can type IPA directly into the comment box.
3. Type �, replacing “0000” by the Unicode number (in hex) of the character you want. Don’t forget the final semicolon. You can find Unicode numbers by going to the Unicode site (scroll down to “Phonetic Symbols”), or by consulting my list.
4. Compose your message in Word, inserting the characters you need by doing Insert Symbol. Then copy and paste.
5. (Windows) Use Select, Copy and Paste from Character Map.
It doesn’t matter what font you use, since Blogger/Blogspot will reformat all comments into its own font, which I think is Lucida Grande. If you can’t see my phonetic symbols correctly, it might be worthwhile getting hold of the Lucida Grande font and installing it. It comes bundled with the Safari browser, which you can download from here. If you can see some but not all symbols, you may have an old version of Lucida Grande, and could consider installing a newer version.